Palace Theatre

327 Main Street,
Buffalo, NY 14202

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Architects: Laurence Bley, Duane Lyman

Firms: Bley & Lyman

Nearby Theaters

Palace Theatre

The Palace Theatre was opened on February 27, 1915 with Mabel Van Buren in “Girl of the Golden West”. It was a three story building with a vertical two story tall sign outlined in light bulbs. Yellow lettering spelled out ‘PALACE’. Below the sign was an arched marquee outlined in bulbs that extended out over the theatre entrance.

The Palace Theatre was still operating in 1950. It was closed on April 6, 1967 after operating as an adult cinema & burlesque theatre. The final program was Tempest Storm in “Mundo Depravados” & Karen Drake in “The House of Cats”. It was demolished later in 1967.

It is not to be confused with the Palace Theater (aka Varsity Theater, Capri Art Theater on Bailey Avenue.)

Contributed by Don Lewis

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

TivFan on February 6, 2013 at 3:06 am

This theater was located on Main Street (near North Division) at Shelton Square. Photos of this theatre can be seen at, by clicking on “Shelton Square” on the “Downtown Buffalo” list. The Palace can be seen behind the bus shelter. In one photo, only a partial glimpse can be seen at the extreme left. A postcard shot can be seen by clicking on “Iriquois Hotel”. Scroll down and there is a postcard of Main Street which shows the full facade of the Palace, to the right.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 1, 2021 at 6:16 pm

When the Palace was taken over by Michaels Theatrical Enterprises in 1926, the March 13 issue of Moving Picture World said that the “…first-run picture hose was built a decade ago by the late Mitchell H. Mark and associates….” It added that “[t]he Palace was the second high-class picture house to be built in Buffalo.” The house probably opened in early 1915, as the February 6 issue of The Buffalo Times mentioned that an organist had been hired for “…the new Palace Theatre which will open soon in Buffalo.”

rivest266 on May 28, 2022 at 6:53 am

The Palace opened on February 27th, 1915. Grand opening ad posted.

rivest266 on September 27, 2022 at 11:14 pm

It closed 1977 as an adult cinema.

DavidZornig on October 12, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Presumably Demolished as street view has nothing that resembles any of the gallery photos.

dallasmovietheaters on October 12, 2022 at 3:40 pm

The Palace Theatre closed at the end of lease on April 6, 1967 with Tempest Storm in “Mundo Depravados” and Karen Drake in “The House of Cats” and a live burley show starring Miss Naja and here $100,000 wardrobe along with six comics and five exotics. The Palace’s Saints and Sinners Grand Finale had been staged on February 28, 1967 but that was followed by an encore month of shows thereafter. Legendary operator Dewey Michaels found a new place to move the operation to for the next ten years while the original Palace was demolished soon thereafter to make way for the Church Street Extension project that was previously known as the Elm-Oak Arterial Highway.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.