177 Sherman Avenue N,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Playhouse Cinema (Official)
Previous Names: Playhouse Theatre
Opened in November 1913 as a working class cinema, with a small stage (and fly tower) for vaudeville. The 600-seat Playhouse was the second Hamilton theatre opened by Frederick Guest.
In 1946 the auditorium was the site of the vote for the STELCO steel strike by Local 1005.
Reduced to showing soft core porn by the 1980’s, it was briefly the home of a live theatre company, Theatre Terra Nova in 1990.
After the demise of Terra Nova, the building was purchased from the city of Hamilton in 1993 by City Kidz Ministry, a church with a focus on inner city youth.
This is the most intact extant cinema of its vintage in Hamilton. City Kidz has maintained the building very well. In 2019 it was restored and returned to use as a movie theatre with a reduced seating capacity for 300.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.