No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Ltd.
Architects: Reginald Naylor
Firms: Naylor & Sale
Previous Names: Picture House
Located in Leeds city centre. The Picture House was built by the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Ltd.(PCT) chain and opened on 4th April 1911 with Sir Henry Beerbolm Tree in “Henry VIII”. It was designed by architects Reginald Naylor & Sale of Derby.
Advertised as ‘The most luxurious cinematotgraph theatre in Yorkshire’, there were two tea lounges, one decorated in a Wedgewood style for the use of ladies, the other in a Jacobean style for the use of gentlemen.
It was taken over by an independent operator from 4th February 1927, and re-named Rialto Cinema. The Rialto Cinema was closed on 11th March 1939 with George Raft in “Woman Tamer” and Will Hay in “Oh, Mr. Porter”.
The building was purchased by Marks & Spencer Ltd. and was demolished to build their city centre store on the site. It remains open as a M & S store in 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.