Agricultural Hall Cinema
2 St. George's Parade,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Gaumont-British-Picture Corp., Ltd.
Architects: Edward Albert Stone
Firms: Norfolk & Pryor
Previous Names: Agricultural Hall
The Agricultural Hall was built in 1863, on what was then known as Snow Hill, in the centre of Wolverhampton. From the early-1900’s, Cinematograph shows were held in the building.
In September 1913, it was converted into a full-time cinema to the plans of architectural firm Norfolk & Pryor of Catford, London. Seating was provided for 1,248, all on a single floor. It was equipped with a ‘straight’ organ to accompany the silent films. By 1919 it was operated by Associated Provincial Picture Houses(APPH).
APPH were taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain in February 1929, and the Agricultural Hall Cinema became the first in Wolverhampton to be equipped to screen ‘talkies’ when Al Jolson in “The Singing Fool” was screened on August 12, 1929. It was closed on 19th September 1931, and was demolished to build the magnificent Gaumont Palace Cinema on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.