Vue West End
3 Cranbourne Street,
14 people favorited this theater
Vue Cinemas UK (Official)
Operated by: Vue
Firms: UNICK Architects
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Warner Theatre, Warner West End & Warner Rendezvous, Warner West End, Village West End
- London Hippodrome Theatre
- Alhambra Theatre
- Palm Court Cinema
- Odeon Luxe London Leicester...
- Prince Charles Cinema
News About This Theater
- Aug 16, 2014 — A first for ice cream at the cinema
Originally on this site was a playhouse theatre, Daly’s Theatre, which was opened on 27th June 1893 and designed by architect Spencer Chadwick. It was closed on 25th September 1937 and was purchased by Warner Bros. to be demolished. Warner Bros. built their new 1,789-seat Warner Theatre on the site which opened on 12th October 1938 with Errol Flynn in “The Adventures of Robin Hood”.
The architects of the Warner Theatre were Edward Albert Stone and Thomas R. Somerford. The frontage was faced with reconstructed marble with a large relief panel by sculptor Bainbridge Copnall in each corner depicting spirits of sight and sound. There is a large central tower feature in a concave recess bearing the ‘Warner’ name. The Warner Theatre was equipped with a Compton 3Manual Paramount Mark 2 model organ. Many premieres were held at the Warner Theatre, including on 26th October 1960 the World Premiere of “Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, on 28th April 1967 the World Premiere of "Privilege”, a Gala Premiere on “You’re a Big Boy Now” on 25th May 1967, a Gala Premiere of “Triple Cross” on 22nd June 1967 and on 16th November 1967 a Royal European Charity Premiere of “Camelot” starring Richard Harris, which was attended by HRH the Princes Margaret.
The original Warner Theatre was twinned to the plans of architect Leslie C. Norton, reopening on 29th October 1970 as the Warner West End in an extension of the former circle seating area with a Gala Premiere of Kirk Douglas in “There Was a Crooked Man” and on 12th November 1970 as the Warner Rendezvous in the former stalls seating area opened with Peter Cook in “The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer”. The Warner West End upstairs had 890 seats and the Rendezvous downstairs had 680 seats. In September 1974 the former bar was opened as Warner West End 3, with the other two screens being renamed Warner West End 1 & 2. Screen 2 was twinned in November 1975 and reopened as Warner West End 3 & 4 seating 270 and 454, Screens 1 & 3 were then re-named 2 & 1. In October 1981 the 180-seat Warner West End 5 opened in previously unused space. The Royal Film Premiere of “Never Say Never Again” was held on 14th December 1983. The auditorium section of the sub-divided original Warner Theatre was closed on 12th September 1991 and was demolished, retaining only the original 1937 façade.
Nine new auditoriums were built behind the original façade to the plans of architectural firm HGP Greentree Allchurch Evans, and they created a total seating capacity for 2,482 when it re-opened on 23rd September 1993 with a Royal Charity Premiere of “The Fugitive” attended by Princess Diana and film stars Harrison Ford, Clint Eastwood, Roger Moore, and singers Sting and Phil Collins attending in person. It was operated as the Warner Cinema by Warner Bros. International Theatres. On 6th December 1996 it was re-named Warner Village Cinemas and in March 2004 it was taken over by Vue. In 2010 the seating capacities totalled 2,412: Screen 1: 177, Screen 2: 126, Screen 3: 300, Screen 4: 298, Screen 5: 414, Screen 6: 264, Screen 7: 410, Screen 8: 180 and Screen 9: 303.
The Vue West End closed for a refurbishment on 9th March 2017 to the plans of UNICK Architects, which includes the installation of 1,385 VIP and luxurious recliner seats throughout all the screens, and Dolby Atmos sound in some auditoriums. It re-opened 11th July 2017.
It has an excellent location on Cranborne Street on the corner of Leicester Square and occasional premieres are held here.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.