New Palace Cinema

Queens Road,
Nuneaton, CV11

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Orr Circuit

Architects: R. Pitcher

Previous Names: Andrews Picture Palace, Palace Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Palace Cinema

Located at the corner of Queens Road and Victoria Street, this is a combination of two buildings. The Palace Gardens Working Men’s Club was built on Victoria Street in 1889, opening on 6th May 1889. By the 1910’s it was operating as Andrews Picture Palace. Later becoming the Palace Cinema, it had a seating capacity for 600, all on a single floor. Occasional variety shows accompanied the film programme. By the mid-1920’s, it was decided to build a New Palace Cinema on adjacent land at the corner of Queens Road and Victoria Street.

The New Palace Cinema was designed by Bradford based architect R. Pitcher, and was opened on 10th December 1928 with “Sailors Don’t Care” and “Shield of Honor”. Seating was provided for 990 in stalls and circle levels, and the proscenium was 20 feet wide. The ‘old’ Palace Cinema building was converted into a roller skating rink. In 1931, it became the Palace Ballroom.

The New Palace Cinema (and ballroom) were taken over by the Manchester based J.F. Emery circuit in late-1937. The ballroom was closed in 1939 and became a function hall. In 1955, the new Palace Cinema was taken over by the Hugh Orr circuit and was operating as a second run cinema.

The New Palace Cinema was damaged by a fire which destroyed the former Palace Cinema on 7th January 1970 (that building was being used as a market at that time). It was closed for two months while repairs were carried out to the roof.

The New Palace Cinema was re-opened on 5th April 1970 with George Lazenby in “On Her Majesties Secret Service”. It was closed on 15th September 1979 with Roger Moore in “Moonraker”. The building was demolished and the inner ring-road Roanne Ringway now passes across the site.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Peter Lea
Peter Lea on January 30, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Please Note* A Book “The Auditorium” is available and covers the cinemas of Nuneaton and also the other cinemas of North Warwickshire including Atherstone, Chapel End, Arley Bedworth Coleshill, Attleborough and Stockingford.

Mike_Blakemore on January 30, 2016 at 5:28 pm

The Theatre was purchased off Hugh Orr by the Local Council but leased back on an odd deal… It was done for Hugh Orr’s lifetime So when he died It closed…

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.