Loew's-Poli Theatre

196 Worthington Street,
Springfield, MA 01103

Unfavorite 4 people favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.

Architects: Thomas White Lamb

Styles: Neo-Classical

Previous Names: Poli's Palace, Poli Theatre, Poli Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Fox Poli Theatre, Springfield, MA -1929

Poli’s Palace was opened on December 22, 1913 as a vaudeville theatre with movies on the Poliscope being part of the programing. Taken over by Loew’s Inc. it was renamed Loew’s-Poli Theatre and was Springfield’s premiere first run showcase for MGM films from the mid-1920’s until the mid-1960’s. It also had full stage capabilities and a "Grand Organ."

On June 30, 1964 Loew’S Inc. vacated the theatre and it operated as the Poli Theatre under independent management for one year, closed on June 30, 1964. It remained dark until April 7, 1966 when the theatre was leased to C. & F. Theatres who operated it as the Poli Cinema and it closed on September 7, 1966 with an Elizabeth Taylor double bill: “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” & “Butterfield 8”.

Contributed by Dr. Russ Durocher

Recent comments (view all 21 comments)

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on November 6, 2009 at 1:29 pm

tisloews- No, E.M. and Marcus were not related to one another.

TLSLOEWS on December 14, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Great 1958 Color Photo Ken MC

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on July 15, 2010 at 1:24 am

From the 1920s a postcard view of Poli’s Theatre in Springfield.

TLSLOEWS on July 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Great postcard veiw Don Lewis.

Patsy on September 1, 2010 at 12:16 pm

If anyone receives Reminisce magazine, in the April/May issue on page 24 there is an article that shows the main street in Springfield MA circa 1962. I can’t tell if there is a theatre at the end of main street. And if there is what is or what was the name as the town had many theatres according to CT….most were demolished, but a few do remain. It’s a shame that the community lost this Thomas Lamb beauty!

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on November 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm

The Poli Palace is listed in the 1927 Film Daily Yearbook as having 2500 seats and open daily.

rivest266 on September 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm

This opened on December 22nd, 1913. An grand opening ad has been posted.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on May 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Click here for an exterior view of the Fox-Poli Theatre in 1929.

dallasmovietheaters on June 1, 2024 at 10:11 pm

Loews left the Poli behind on June 30, 1964. It was taken on for a one year lease as the Poli Theatre closing June 30, 1965. It went dark for nearly one year before operators C&F Theatres took it on and renamed it the Poli Cinema April 7, 1966. At that time, they also had the Bijou operating in downtown. The theatre didn’t attract audiences and was closed permanently five months later on September 7, 1966 with “Cat on a Hot Time Roof” and “Butterfield 8.”

Associated Building Wreckers tore the building down in the 1980s. (And the address was 194 Worthington (on the opposite side of the street.)

Patsy on June 2, 2024 at 7:38 am

What happened to the organ?

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.