Lyric Theatre

118 S. Blackburn Street,
Brady, TX 76825

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 12, 2021 at 3:12 am

The Lyric Theatre was the only house listed at Brady in the 1914-1915 American Motion Picture Directory, but the theater had already been around for some time. A column headed “In Brady…42 Years Ago” in the July 16, 1954 Brady Standard included an item from the July 5, 1912 issue of the paper saying that an SRO crowd had attended the opening night of a week-long engagement of a stock company at the Lyric on July 3.

An ad for the Lyric in the January 1, 1924 Brady Standard showed daily changes of program (no Sunday shows) with a feature film and short subject, usually either a two-reel comedy or a Fox newsreel. There was one show a night at 7:30 pm, except Saturday when there were two shows, the first starting at 7:00 pm. Julius Levy was the proprietor and manager.

The 1940 Film Daily Yearbook lists two theaters at Brady, the 750-seat Brady and the 450-seat Palace.

CinemaTour lists the address of the Lyric as 118 S. Blackburn Street.