36-44 Bolton Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: John Haworth
Previous Names: Savoy Picture House, Savoy Super Cinema
Located on Bolton Road, at the corner of Lister Street. The Savoy Picture House was opened on 11th November 1921. It had a 25 feet wide proscenium and a small stage for variety turns. In 1929, it was the first cinema in Blackburn to screen a ‘talkie’ film, which was Charles King in "Broadway Melody".
On 23rd February 1931, it was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. It was leased to their subsidiary chain Regent Cinemas from May 1933 to 1935, when it was taken over by the Marks chain of Manchester. By the 1950’s, it was part of the MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit cinemas.
The Savoy Cinema was closed (together with the rest of the McNaghton chain) on 28th December 1957. It was taken over by the Hutchinson Leisure Company of Burnley and by the early-1960’s was a bingo club.
In 1984, bingo has ceased, and the building became a builders store. This too had closed by 1995. In 2011, the building is in use as a carpet store, and a Probodies gymnasium.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.