Cannon East Grinstead
Little King Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Architects: Frederick Edward Jones
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Radio Centre Cinema, Classic
The Radio Centre Cinema on King Street, opened on 12th April 1936 with Jack Hulbert in “Jack of All Trades”. It had 1,012 seats in the stalls and circle and the interior was designed to resemble Radio City Music Hall in New York. It also boasted a café, for the convenience of its patrons.
It tripled in the 1972, under Classic Cinemas control, it one screen in the circle, another screen in the former restaurant and a third screen in the top of the stage flytower. A bingo club operated in the former stalls. It later became a Cannon cinema before closing on 4th January 1989 with Bob Hoskins in “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?”.
It was demolished in April 1990, and the site of the Radio Centre Cinema is now occupied by the Atrium Centre, built in 1991, which incorporates a two screen cinema run (both seating 140). When Scotts Cinemas took over they split one of the screens to make a triple screen cinema in late-2008. Scotts Cinemas @ The Atrium has its own page on Cinema Treasures.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.