Clinton Street and Marion Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Paramount-Publix
The Plattsburgh Theatre opened on April 5, 1893 in the Weed Building, which was owned by the prominent attorney and member of the state legislature Smith M. Weed. The theatre was located on the second floor of the building which housed stores and municipal offices on the ground floor. It suffered extensive damage in a fire on Saint Patrick’s Day in 1928 which also destroyed the Clinton Theatre next door.
The exterior walls survived the fire and plans were made by Paramount-Publix to build a new theatre inside the walls. In 1931 the city engineer determined that the exterior walls had shifted and they were ordered demolished.
Paramount-Publix had plans drawn up by Rapp and Rapp for a new 1,500 seat theatre to be built on the site of the Plattsburgh Theatre and the adjacent baptist church. Before it could be built Paramount-Publix filed for bankruptcy and the land was leased to a local resident for parking and gas pumps.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.