Cinema 101

13 W. Main Street,
Union, MO 63084

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previous Names: Williams Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Cinema 101

The Williams Theatre was the only theatre in the small community of Union. It replaced the earlier Liberty Theatre which had closed 5 days earlier. It was located just off the town square on W. Main Street. It was opened on September 17, 1937 with Deanna Durbin in “100 Men and a Girl”. It was closed sometime in the late-1950’s. The small theatre seated 300.

The Williams Theatre was destroyed in a fire on March 5, 1971. It was rebuilt and reopened as Cinema 101 on November 20, 1973 with Burt Reynolds in “White Lightening”. It was still operating into the 1980’s. Since demolished, there is a building housing a thrift store where it once stood.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

SethG on May 9, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Either the address or description are wrong. Washington St is the E-W divider, so this would have been 4 blocks off the square. Google coverage of town is uselessly bad, so I can’t find a possible location.

50sSNIPES on July 13, 2022 at 7:13 pm

The Williams Theatre opened its doors on September 17, 1937 with Deanna Durbin in “100 Men And A Girl” (unclear if any short subjects were added). The opening of the Williams Theatre forced the closure to the nearby Liberty Theatre five days prior.

Once remodeled on July 29, 1954 in connection to its installation of CinemaScope.

On the evening of March 5, 1971, the Williams Theatre was destroyed by a fire. The Union Fire Department reported that there is not just a fire but a typical brush fire taking over the theater as they described.

After a rebuilt, the Williams Theatre changed its name to Cinema 101, and reopened on November 20, 1973 with “White Lightning”.

It was still in operation as a movie house in the early 1980s, but the closing date hasn’t been found yet.

50sSNIPES on July 14, 2022 at 7:16 am

The Williams Theatre did indeed once closed in 1956, and sat empty until new management reopened the theater in early 1958.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.