2 people favorited this theater
Architects: C.R. Corfield
Previous Names: ABC
The Grand Theatre was opened in 1928 as a live theatre. With the coming of ‘talkies’ it soon became a full time cinema in 1929, although some live performances were part of the programming in the summer months. The auditorium was decorated with a series of large painted panels which depicted various scenes of Dutch country life. It had a 26 feet deep stage and six dressing rooms.
In January 1936, it was taken over by the Union Cinemas chain, and in October 1937, they were taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. It was re-named ABC in 1961, and was closed on 21st September 1968, being converted into a bingo club.
Re-opened as the ABC cinema on 4th May 1970, it was taken over by an independent operator on 18th March 1976, and was re-named Grand Theatre, with a programme of films and live shows. The Grand Theatre was closed on 31st January 1986, and was demolished, apart from the facade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.