Odeon Coventry

Jordan Well,
Coventry, CV1 5RW

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Gaumont-British-Picture Corp., Ltd., Odeon Theatres Ltd., Rank Organisation

Architects: Percy Bartlett, William Henry Watkins, Harry W. Weedon

Functions: Performing Arts, University

Styles: Neo-Classical

Previous Names: Gaumont Palace, Gaumont, Odeon Film Centre Coventry

Nearby Theaters

Gaumont Palace / Odeon Coventry

The Gaumont Palace opened on 5th October 1931 with George Arliss in “The Millionaire” and Constance Carpenter in “Brown Sugar”. This vast cinema had an entrance on Jordon Well, and a separate entrance to the front stalls on Whitefriars Street. The building incorporated the former Coliseum Ballroom & Café, which was converted into the Gaumont Palace Ballroom. There were also two cafe’s in the building, one for the cinema, and the other for the ballroom.

Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. There was a huge 85 feet diameter dome in the centre of the ceiling which contained the projection box port-holes. The 52 feet wide proscenium had a gentle curve, and contained three troughs of concealed lighting. The Gaumont Palace was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/9Ranks organ which was opened by organist Leslie James.

It was re-named Gaumont on 19th January 1937. Closed on 14th November 1940 due to damage from German bombs, it was repaired and re-opened. It was fully restored and redecorated in 1949, to the plans of architect Harry Weedon.

In 1960, the Rank Organisation modernised the cinema, and a new projection box was built at the rear of the circle. It was modernised again in 1967, re-opening on 31st July 1967 and re-named Odeon. It was tripled in 1975, re-opening as the 3-screen Odeon Film Centre Coventry on 16th November 1975. There were 716 seats in Screen 1 (former circle) and 170 & 176 seats in Screen’s 2 & 3 in the former rear stalls.

Screen’s 4 & 5 opened in February 1990 using the former front stalls with 390 seats, and a former café area with 121 seats. The Odeon was closed in October 1999, after the new 9-screen Odeon multiplex opened in the Sky Dome Leisure Centre.

The Gaumont/Odeon was sold to Coventry University to be used as a Performing Arts Centre and it opened in December 2000 as the Ellen Terry Arts & Media Building (named after the famed Edwardian era actress).

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on October 28, 2010 at 8:21 am

A slide-show of vintage photographs of the Gaumont Palace:

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on October 28, 2010 at 8:36 am

The former Gaumont/Odeon, photographed in September 2009:
View link
The adjacent former Coliseum Ballroom/Gaumont/Odeon building photographed in September 2009:
View link

Ian on October 31, 2010 at 3:48 am

Another photo taken whilst still a cinema:–


rivest266 on July 24, 2021 at 11:09 am

1931, 1967, and 1975 grand opening ads posted. When it reopened on November 16th, 1975 it was renamed “Odeon Film Centre Coventry”.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.