Green End Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Robert Cromie
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Lido Super Cinema, Odeon, Classic
Located in the south Manchester district of Burnage, on the corner of Kingsway and Green End Road. The Lido Super Cinema was opened on 28th December 1929, and was built for and operated by Anglo-Scottish Cinemas. The Lido Cinema had seating provided in stalls and circle levels, and there was a café for the convenience of patrons. It was taken over by the Union Cinemas chain on 24th February 1936, then in 1938, by an independent operator.
On 5th December 1942, it was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. and was re-named Odeon in 1945. The Odeon Burnage was one of a group of Odeon cinemas which were sold to the Classic Cinemas chain in December 1967, and it was re-named Classic from 10th December 1967. Classic Cinemas operated the single screen cinema until July 1971, when they sold the building to an independent operator.
The stalls seating area was converted into the Burnage Bingo Club, while the former circle became a 400 seat cinema, known as the Concorde Cinema. In June 1973, a second screen seating 103, was created from the former café area. Both screens were closed in December 1984, and the bingo club also closed and was converted into a Kwik Save Supermarket, while the two screens remained closed. They were re-opened on 18th February 1987, and closed finally on 26th April 1991.
The Kwik Save Supermarket continued until the auditorium section of the building was destroyed by a fire in the 1990’s. The front section of the building was demolished in the summer of 2004. A new building was erected on the site, which opened as a Lidl Supermarket, in 2010 this is an Aldi Supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.