High Street Bordesley,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Owen & Ward
Previous Names: Imperial Palace Theatre, Bordesley Palace Theatre
Located in the Bordesley district of Birmingham at the corner of Clyde Street and High Street Bordesley opposite Bordesley Railway Station. The Imperial Palace Theatre opened on 2nd October 1899 with the play "Sporting Life". It had an imposing facade with a tower feature on each side. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided in orchestra, dress circle and balcony levels, with private boxes beside the proscenium. It was taken over and operated by the Stoll Moss Theatres chain from 1903, when it was re-named Bordesley Palace Theatre.
It was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in October 1928 and closed as a live theatre in 1929 with a production of "Maria Marten" or "The Murder in the Red Barn". It converted into a full time talkie cinema, with a seating capacity for 1,296. The Palace Cinema was requisitioned by the Government in 1942 and was used as a food store during World War II. It was listed as ‘Temporary Closed’ in 1947, but it never re-opened and was demolished in 1957.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.