202 E. 5th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Eisen & Son
Previous Names: Jewel Theatre
The Globe Theatre, located at the corner of East 5th Street and Los Angeles Street, on what was soon to become the city’s skid row, opened on September 19, 1908. The advertisements promoting it in the Los Angeles Herald proclaimed it to be the "…most beautiful motion picture theater in the state…."
The building was designed by father and son architects Theodore Augustus Eisen and Percy Augustus Eisen, whose partnership had been formed in 1906.
The Globe Theatre was listed in city directories as late as 1914. It might have operated later than that, as the address was listed in the category Motion Picture Theatres in the 1915 directory, but under the name S.W. McCormick, possibly the operator. No theater was listed for this address in directories for 1923 or later, so it was gone by then.
The building survived at least into the 1980’s, but has subsequently been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.