Baltimore Strand Theatre

Long Avenue,
New Castle, PA 16102

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

50sSNIPES
50sSNIPES on November 20, 2021 at 8:41 am

On February 8, 1915, David Baltimore, the owner, returned back to his house on Long Avenue after a 4-day visit from Harrisburg who previously visited one out of a few theaters beforehand (including Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and Elmira, New York) as he brought back plans to build his own Strand. They were approved by Lewis Palmer, the chief of the labor and industry bureau. The Strand was erected for $20,000 right when plans were approved, and it did. Construction began the following month.

After completion, the 550-seat capacity Baltimore Strand Theatre held its grand opening and opened its doors to the public on June 9, 1915 with an unnamed Charles Chaplin film, along with a performance by an orchestra. It not only demonstrates photoplays and films, but sporting events as well.

It was closed in 1919.