760 Penniman Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Penn Theatre (Official)
Architects: Ted Rogvoy
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
- Jan 27, 2006 — Group Buys Penn Theatre; Seek to Restore, Reopen
Opened on December 4, 1941 just three days before the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Penn Theatre’s first feature was "Weekend in Havana" with John Payne and Carmen Miranda.
This Art Moderne movie house was built for Harry R. Lush, who owned a couple of other theatres in Plymouth and Northville. The name of the theatre, which was situated across from Kellogg Park, was changed twice before the building was completed and finally crowned in green neon with the name ‘Penn’.
Over the decades, the Penn Theatre had several ownership changes, but continued to be a center of entertainment for the Plymouth community until its sudden closure in 2004. It was briefly used as a church, then closed again.
In December 2005, when it looked like all hope was lost, a group of local businessmen formed Penn Theatre Reality, LLC and purchased the building form its current owners, for $1.2 million. The theatre is currently operated and maintained by The Friends of the Penn, a federally recognized non-profit organization. Renovations are on-going and programming consists of current film titles and occasional classic movie specials.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.