Whittier Village Cinemas
7038 Greenleaf Avenue,
10 people favorited this theater
Starlight Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: Starlight Cinemas
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Bushnell's Wardman Theater, Wardman Theatre, Pussycat Theatre
A news account in 1931 reported that architect David S. Bushnell was preparing plans for a theater, costing $90,000, seating 1,000 and to be leased to a theater chain (United Artists). Because of the depression, according to the Whittier Historical Society, the lease was broken and the owner, Aubrey Wardman, ended up operating the theater with the architect serving as the manager. The Bushnell’s Wardman Theater was opened on March 15, 1932 with Lew Ayers in “All Quiet of the Western Front” plus vaudeville on the stage.
The Wardman Theatre remained independent except for a time beginning in the 1970’s when it was operated by Pacific Theatres and by early-1977 it was operated by Pussycat Theatres. The October 1, 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake nearly finished the theatre, but it was reconstructed to the plans of architect David Harper, with the original auditorium divided and more screens added by building an annex, reopening on August 24, 1990.
Its recently added stadium seating rises over the entrance to the old auditorium and the empty space below the risers has been converted to a video game arcade. Because a nearby Regal theatre closed, the independently operated theatre now has no serious competition.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.