1-3 Rose Street,
1 person favorited this theater
1812 Theatre (Official)
Functions: Live Theatre
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Loyalty Theatre, Festival Theatre
Located in Upper Ferntree Gully on the extreme eastern edge of Melbourne. The Loyalty Theatre was opened as a cinema in 1939 with 376 seats. It had a modest Art Deco style design, and seating in the single floor auditorium was increased to 409 by 1960.
It was briefly re-named Festival Theatre before it was closed in 1971. It stood empty and unused for around eighteen months. The local repertory theatre group, The 1812 Theatre (so named as they were located in a building at the intersection of Route’s 18 and 12 in Lysterfield), took over the almost derelict building in November 1972 after their premises were burnt to the ground on 2nd June 1972.
The 1812 players perform popular plays with tickets sold by subscription. In recent years, an adjecent building which once housed a bakery, has been converted into an additional performance space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.