38 Home Street, Tollcross,
2 people favorited this theater
Picturehouse Cinemas UK (Official)
Operated by: Picturehouse Cinemas UK
Functions: Movies (Independent)
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: King's Cinema, Cameo Cinema
News About This Theater
- Dec 8, 2012 — Cineworld buys Picturehouse cinemas
The Kings Cinema opened on 8th January 1914 and was located across the road from the Kings Theatre. The entry was converted from a former drapers shop, with the auditorium built behind existing shops on ground which had been occupied by a riding school. It was owned by Mr Barlett and he employed a ladies orchestra to accompany the first week’s films.
In 1948 it was taken over by Messrs. Pooles and was re-named Cameo Cinema. With a seating capacity of 550, it became Edinburgh’s first house of ‘Continental’ films. The Cameo Cinema closed on 11th September 1982. It stood unused for four years, until it was taken over by new owners and re-opened on 16th August 1986.
Recorded Cinemas took over in 1991 and they added two screens to the cinema which seated 63 and 77. In 1996 it was taken over by Oasis Cinemas and they proposed plans for a fourth screen.
On 1st February 2000, Historic Scotland designated the Cameo Cinema a Grade C Listed building. In 2007, this was upgraded to Grade B Listed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.