Pendle Hippodrome Theatre
New Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Pendle Hippodrome Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Star Cinemas
Architects: R.S. Pilling
Functions: Live Theatre
Previous Names: Hippodrome Cinema
Opened on 21st September 1914 the Pendle Hippodrome Theatre was a cine-variety theatre, through until 1931 when sound was installed and the Hippodrome became almost exclusively a cinema.
It was designed by R.S. Pilling and seated 980, by 1943 this had been reduced to 860 and currently has (part of the rear stalls have been sub-divided to accommodate a bar) 489 seats, 138 of which are in the single balcony.
The Hippodrome Cinema closed on 8th April 1965 and was converted into a bingo hall which lasted until 1978. Three local amateur theatre groups then negotiated to buy the building and a long expensive haul to repair and update the theatre began, culminating in reopening on 6th December 1986.
It currently has a lively programme of theatre, music and stand up events, both amateur and professional, but sadly no films.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.