Albany Pussy Galore Cinema
230 Collins Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Village Cinemas
Architects: H. Vivian Taylor
Firms: Taylor & Soilleaux
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Albany Newsreel Theatrette, Albany Cinema
The Albany Newsreel Theatrette opened on 30th October 1936. It later became the Albany Cinema, screening sexploitation movies and drive-in releases.
In 1978 it was taken over by the Shaft Sinema’s company headed by Ken Hill who specialised in adult cinemas, and went over to screening adult films as the Albany Pussy Galore Cinema, which was named after the character in the James Bond film “Goldfinger”. The Albany Pussy Galore Cinema closed in June 1989, and was converted to retail use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 11 comments)
Why the Albany part of the name?
The building is now a Japan travel agency(H.i.S. Australia Pty Ltd).
davidcoppock “Goldfinger” never played at the Albany although some early Bond films “Dr. No” and “From Russia With Love” did on re-issue. Perhaps the Albany’s greatest claim to fame was in November 1967 when, following a refurbishment, premiered the cult classic “Cool Hand Luke”.
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic) Thu 3 Dec, 1936 Page 7, writes about the HOWEY ESTATE BUILDING PROGRAMME
The proposed Albany Theatre was part of THE HOWEY ESTATE BUILDING PROGRAM and was built into the basement of Albany Court, located in 230 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria The ground floor of the building had been designed as a shopping arcade extending from Collins street through to Howey place. There are seven shops in the arcade, and two in Collins street. A bright and attractive appearance has been given to the show windows by the use of stainless steel moldings.
The Albany Theatre*
The basement of the building will be occupied by the Albany Theatre and a modern coffee lounge, both under the same control. Air conditioning to be provided in both the lounge and the theatre. The decoration follows the modern horizontal treatment. The special furniture in the lounge and theatre has been designed by the theatre architects Messrs Taylor, Soillieux and Overend. The operating bio box is situated at the Collins street end and has natural light from pavement lights above. The seating Capacity at the time of building was 268.
The projection equipment*
The projection equipment has been installed by Harringtons Limited. The sound is the Australian made Racophone. A central heating ventilating and air conditioning system has been carried right throughout the building. A system of 12 vertical utility ducts runs from the basement to the roof, each duct carrying the hot and cold water mains the radiation, and gas services. All the equipment operating these services is a sub-basement, and with the general and sanitary plumbing formed part of the contract of Messrs Thomas Warner and Sons, of South Melbourne.
The boiler operating the hot-water and heating service is fired by a fully automatically controlled fuel oil burner which was installed by Major Furnace and Combustion Engineers Pty Ltd of South Yarra.
The Grand opening*
The Albany opened as a newsreel theatrette screening continuously every hour, on October 30, 1936. The original Exhibitors were Woodrow and Sloman – Contributed by Greg Lynch –
The Albany opened as a Newsreel Theatrette screening continuously every hour, on October 30, 1936
NEWSREEL THEATRETTES* These were scattered around central Melbourne, and first appeared in 1932. Most were below street level.These establishments screened continuous newsreels from Movietone, Universal & Cinesound, along with cartoons, Pete Smith & Three Stooge comedy’s – to name a few . There were no intermissions and it was possible to sit there all day! – Contributed by Greg Lynch –
Rip Honor Blackman.
Although now remembered as an “Adult” cinema, there were some important releases. “Cool Hand Luke” premiered here along with the Roma cinema in 1967. It became an important “move over” venue for many important features.
Rip Sir Sean Connery.
The Albany coffee lounge was still operating in 1967 following refurbishment of the auditorium. Lovely tea and coffee, crumpets with honey, cinammon toast. milkshakes, toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, banana splits et all. Doubt if it survived the latter soft porn era.
Currently some sort of retail mall.