158 Lower High Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: Joseph Lawden
Previous Names: Scala Picture Theatre, Scala Theatre, New Scala Cinema, Savoy Cinema
The 1,100-seat Scala Picture Theatre opened on 11th October 1920 with Isobel Elsom in "The Edge of Beyond", with Miss Elsom appearing in person. Designed by Birmingham architect Joseph Lawden in a Classical style, the narrow façade was framed by two columns that had terra cotta Hathernware tiling on its surround. Seating was provided in the auditorium on stalls and circle levels. On 12th May 1930 a Western Electric(WE) sound system was installed and the first ‘talkie’ screened was “The Sky Hawk” starring Helen Chandler. By 1931 it was operating as the Scala Theatre and by 1936 it had been taken over by the B.T. Davis chain and re-named New Scala Cinema.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in September 1942, and was re-named Savoy Cinema on 20th September 1943. It was re-named ABC in 1968, and refurbished in 1978, with seating reduced to 780.
The ABC was closed on 6th November 1982 with “Pink Floyd-The Wall”. It was gutted internally and converted into a supermarket. Later used for storage, in early-1999, it was converted into a gymnasium, known as the Academy Health Club. On 8th April 2006, part of the building was opened as Heaven, a lap-dancing club. Since then the auditorium has been gutted. The façade remains basically unaltered.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.