No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Hippodrome Cinema
The Hippodrome Cinema was open by 1909. The auditorium was at the rear of a terrace of shops, with flats above. It was remodeled in 1912, to become a music hall and cinema. The decoraion in the auditorium was rather plain. It had a 20 feet deep stage and a fully equipped, but rather low fly tower. It was operated by Will Stone & Company.
It was re-named New Hippodrome Cinema in the 1930’s and around 1939 it was re-named Plaza Cinema. Closed by 1960 when it was operating as a second run cinema, it was converted into a bingo club.
After the town’s Picturedrome Cinema closed in 1969, the Plaza Cinema was re-opened as a cinema under the ownership of the Willis circuit. It now had a seating capacity of 644. The Plaza Cinema was closed on 28th July 1982, then was re-opened on 18th February 1983 for a ‘trial period’ after concern that the town would be without a cinema. This didn’t work, and the Plaza Cinema finally closed in June 1983. It was converted into a full time bingo club which continued through to at least 2002.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.