79 Washington Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Strand Theatre (Official)
Architects: Thomas J. Hill Pierce
Previous Names: Paramount Theatre
The Strand Theatre was located directly behind Providence’s Biltmore Hotel. It opened on June 12, 1915 as a movie theatre, it also had stage facilities, which came into use in later years. It was equipped with a Moller 2 manual 15 ranks organ which was enlarged to a 3 manual 28 ranks instrument in 1917. Two more ranks were added in 1924.
Taken over by Publix it was briefly known as the Paramount Theatre from June 20, 1930. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3 manual 14 ranks organ which was opened by organist Joe Alexander. The Strand Theatre name was restored on August 15, 1934. It was twinned in the 1970’s when it was operating as an adult theatre. It closed as a movie house in 1978. In the 1990’s, it became a fairly popular live concert venue, but eventually closed.
The Strand Theatre then became home to a nightclub. It is now used for live performances/concerts and was known as Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel. In 2017 it was renamed Strand Theatre once again.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.