402 Locust Street,
5 people favorited this theater
Sterling Theaters (Official)
Operated by: Sterling Theaters, Inc.
Architects: John R. McLane
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Sterling Cinemas
Originally built in 1924 for vaudeville and stage acts (original architect unknown), this 1,200 seat theater was partially destroyed by fire on July 9, 1943. It was rebuilt in an Art Moderne style designed by architect John R. McLane and opened on September 28 1944 with 1,020 seats. One of the features of the rebuilt Sterling Theater was a lighted tower, which became a beacon for entertainment in downtown Sterling.
It was later twinned and was taken over by Classic cinemas in July 1997. The lighted tower was rebuilt and re-lit by Classic Cinemas during a 2000 renovation.
From October 2003 until 2004, the theater was part of the Sensible Cinemas chain, but since July 2004, it was under new independent ownership of 21st Cinemas, as a discount house. The Sterling Theater also featured special free shows as well as an independent film series.
The Sterling Theater was closed in 2008. It re-opened in July 2013 as a brew & view movie theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.