Palace Brighton Dendy
26 Church Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Palace Cinemas, Australia (Official)
Operated by: Palace Cinemas
Previously operated by: Dendy Cinemas
Firms: Cowper, Murphy, & Appleford
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Dendy Theatre, Dendy Twin Theatre
The Dendy Theatre was built in 1940 and contained 1,172 seats on orchestra and balcony levels. It was a single screen until 1983. In 1985 it was twinned.
The Dendy Twin closed for renovations in 2000 and reopened on November 16, 2000 with five screens. The #4 screen contains the 3Manual/15Rank Wurlitzer organ which was originally installed in the Capitol Theatre, Melbourne. It was installed in the Dendy Theatre in April 1967 and was opened by organist Horace Webber, who had originally opened the instrument in 1924.
In 2021 Palace Cinemas announced that the auditorium housing the Wurlitzer organ would be converted into 4-screens. The organ was played for the final time on 17th October by a group of organ enthusiasts and will be removed, and plans are to re-install it at its original home, the Capitol Theatre, Swanston Street, Melbourne.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.