52-58 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: John Fairweather
Located in Cambuslang, an outer suburb, 7 miles south-east of Glasgow. The Savoy Cinema was opened in 1929 and was built for a local operator as a cinema with theatre facilities.
Designed in a Neo-Classical style by noted cinema architect John Fairweather, there are Classical style columns along the side-walls of the auditorium. The proscenium is 36 feet wide, the stage 12 feet deep and two dressing rooms were provided.
Closed as a cinema in the early-1960’s, it was re-named Vogue, becoming a bingo club. In recent years the original Savoy name has been re-instated.
In 2008 a planning application was submitted to convert the building into a pub, by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain, but this was abandoned, but resubmitted in 2013. It was restored and re-opened as The John Fairweather on 20th January 2015.
In September 2008, the building was designated a Grade C(s) Listed building by Historic Scotland.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.