2115 Woodward Avenue,
10 people favorited this theater
The Fillmore Detroit (Official)
Architects: Charles Howard Crane
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Palms Theatre, State Theatre, Palms-State Theatre
News About This Theater
- Aug 5, 2008 — Detroit historic theatres tour
Now one of the best theatres in Detroit for concerts, the former 3,500-seat Palms Theatre (later State Theatre) still pays tribute to its glorious movie palace past by showing classic films during the summer. The theatre is located half a block from the Fox Theatre. It opened as the Palms Theatre for Kunsky-Loew’s Theatres on October 29, 1925, it was built on the site of the (first) Grand Circus Theatre (1913-1924). It was equipped with a Wurlitzer theatre organ. Renamed State Theatre, on June 18, 1928 it screened its first ‘talkie’:“Glorious Betsy” starring Dolores Costello & Conrad Nagel.
On May 22, 1937 it was renamed Palms-State Theatre. Later operated by United Detroit Theatres it was renamed State Theatre again. It was closed as a movie theatre in 1983. After several years laying empty, it became Clubland, a dance club/concert hall from September 28, 1989.
The State Theatre was taken over by Live Nation and in 2007 was re-named The Fillmore. It was restored in 2018, reopening in October 2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.