3560 W. Century Boulevard,
13 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Pacific Theatres
Firms: Balch & Bryan
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
- Oct 10, 2008 — Remembering Cinerama (Part VI)
Opened on July 2, 1949 with Kirk Douglas in “Champion” & Lon McCallister “The Big Cat”. The Century Drive-In was a single screen theatre, operated by Pacific Theatres with a capacity for 918 cars. The rear of the screen tower had a mural with a nautical theme. There was a childrens playground which was equipped with gymnastic equipment.
It was used in the mid-1950’s to test and show the public the new form of entertainment called "CINERAMA". They used three trailers as the three different projection booths (Abel,Baker,Charlie). On April 17, 1964 it began screening Cinerama films, it began screening Cinerama films, the first being “This Is Cinerama”.
The Century Drive-In was twinned in the 1970’s. It was demolished in 1984 and a Costco & Home Depot industrial park was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.