206 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Frank G. Richardson
Firms: Twentyman & Askew
Functions: Banquet Hall
The Northcote Theatre, located in the Northcote district of Melbourne, was opened on 27th June 1912. It was designed by architect Frank G. Richardson in association with the architectural firm Twentyman & Askew (Edward Twentyman Jr.). It had seating arranged mainly in the stalls, with some more in a small circle at the rear of the auditorium. The auditorium has a barrel-shaped ceiling which is crossed with decorative bands of plaster.
It was built for a Mr T.G. Farr and operated as an independent throughout its cinematic life. Facilities were provided to stage live performances and it was equipped with its own generator, making it the first public building in Northcote to have electric lights.
The Northcote Theatre closed in June 1960 and today is in use as a reception hall for weddings etc.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
An April 2005 photograph of the Northcote theatre:
A couple of close-ups of details:
Here’s a link to the former Northcote Theatre, now known as the Regal Ballroom. Nice job on the restoration!! Good to see.