Bedford Cinema

32-36 Bedford Road,
Liverpool, L4 5PU

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Bedford Cinemas (1928) Ltd., Gaumont-British-Picture Corp., Ltd., Rank Organisation

Architects: Arthur Ernest Shennan

Styles: Neo-Classical

Previous Names: Bedford Hall Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Bedford Cinema

The Bedford Hall Cinema opened in December 1910 and was a project of the independent exhibitor John F. Wood (Bedford Cinemas Ltd.). The architect is unknown, but it is believed to be possibly the work of T. Taliesin Rees. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. It was located in the Walton district of Liverpool.

From March 1928 it was taken over by General Theatre Corporation (GTC) and from May 1928 they were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres and the name was changed to Bedford Cinema. In around 1930 a new spacious foyer was added to the left-hand side of the building and this was decorated in the then fashionable Art Deco style to the plans of architect A. Ernest Shennan.

The Bedford Cinema was closed on 23rd May 1959 with Jerry Lewis in "The Geisha Boy" and Jackie Loughery in "The Hot Angel". The building was sold and became a furniture salesroom and warehouse which remained in operation until recently. With this use the interior has remained remarkably intact.

In 2007, the landlord revoked the lease for non-payment of rent and the building came under threat of demolition for a block of residential flats to be built on the site. The Cinema Theatre Association put forward an application to English Heritage to designate Listed Building status, but sadly this was refused. The Bedford Cinema was demolished in May 2008.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 20, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Thanks to Phillip for these three photographs of the former Bedford Cinema as seen in early 2007:
View link
View link
View link

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 30, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Here are two vintage and two current photographs of the Bedford Hall/Cinema, courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association archives:
View link

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome on December 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm

The waiting room was added in 1924, and was designed by A E Shennan, responsible for numerous cinemas in Merseyside.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Thanks Ken. Merry Christmas.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.