Glasgow Film Theatre
12 Rose Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Glasgow Film Theatre (Official)
Previous Names: Cosmo Cinema
The Cosmo Cinema opened on 18th May 1939 with Raimu and Fernandel in "Un Carnet de Bal"(Dance Ticket). It was the largest and the only purpose built art house cinema in Britain outside London’s West End. It was built for George Singleton who operated the Singleton circuit of cinemas in Scotland and was the last cinema to be built in central Glasgow before the the beginning of World War II.
Designed in a splendid mix of Art Deco and Art Moderne styles by architect James McKissack who was assisted by architect W.J. Anderson due to McKissack’s ill-health. The Cosmo Cinema was James McKissack’s final cinema design. Seating was provided for 850 in stalls and circle levels. Programming was based on the famous Academy Cinema, Oxford Street, London which was always considered the UK’s top art house cinema.
In 1974 the Cosmo Cinema was purchased by the Scottish Film Council and the auditorium was sub-divided to provide a 404 seat cinema in the former circle and a conference facility in the former stalls area. This opened on 2nd May 1974 as the Glasgow Film Theatre with Frederico Fellini’s "Roma".
In 1988, the conference room was converted into a 144 seat cinema and a café known as the Cosmo Café was added. The former circle cinema now seats 394. At the end of November 2013 a 3rd 60-seat screen was added in what had previously been the Cosmo Café.
On 21st July 1988, Historic Scotland designated the Cosmo Cinema a Grade B Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.