5 Glenthorpe Crescent,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: James Brodie
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Star Super Cinema
Located at the corner of Glenthorpe Crescent and York Road in the Burmantofts district. The Star Super Cinema was opened on 21st February, 1938 with Ronald Colman in “Lost Horizon”. It was built for and was operated by Goldstone Cinemas Ltd. and designed by James Brodie of nearby Pudsey. The Star Cinema was a replacement for the smaller Victoria Cinema. It seated 870 in the stalls and 416 in the single balcony.
It is a striking freestanding building utilising horizontal banding in a streamlined Art Deco-ish facade.
It lasted for several decades before closing on 4th November 1961 with “Secret Ways” and “Posse From Hell”. It was converted into a bingo club.
It has since been altered as a gym with a false ceiling at circle level and the stepping’s in the circle built up to form a martial arts centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.