Astoria Cinema

130 Mitcham Road,
London, SW17 9NH

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Essoldo Circuit (Contol) Ltd., S.M. Super Cinemas, Ltd.

Architects: Leslie C. Norton

Styles: Art Deco

Previous Names: Tooting Electric Pavilion

Nearby Theaters

Astoria Cinema

Located in the south London district of Tooting. The Tooting Electric Pavilion opened in April 1914. The facade had a wide arched entrance, above which was the name of the cinema set in stone. On top at each side was a small dome, supported on pillars. Inside the auditorium the seating was on one floor and there were nine private boxes.

In 1933 the facade was modernised to the plans of architect Leslie C. Norton and it was re-done in an Art Deco style. The name was also changed and it became the Astoria Cinema. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was an independent cinema operated by Davison & Singer and in 1938 S.M. Super Cinemas took control (this was the Southan Morris chain).

From 26th August 1954 it was taken over by the Essoldo chain, but it was never re-named Essoldo. The Astoria Cinema closed on 11th April 1970 with Pierre Brice in “Samson and the Slave Queen (Zorro Contro Maciste)” and Dale Robertson in “Blood on the Arrow”. It was demolished in 1971 and the site was re-developed for a supermarket (Somerfield) and by 2017 a Savers and adjoining Iceland.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on January 13, 2007 at 9:19 am

A few more details on the Astoria Cinema;
The opening date of the Tooting Electric Pavilion was 9th April 1914 and the original architect was a Mr A.R. Bead.

The architect for the 1937 re-build of the facade was Leslie C. Norton.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.