1221 Vine Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Rapp, Zettle & Rapp
Previous Names: New Heuck's Opera House
Not to be confused with the earlier 1877 Heuck’s Opera House (later Peoples Theatre) on 13th Street W & Vine Street which has its own page on Cinema Treasures.
The New Heuck’s Opera House was built in 1882 and closed 1915 to be reopened as the Rialto Theater, a movie house. Heuck’s claimed to have the first electric footlights 1883 in this country, but as we all know how often that claim is made by how many theaters across America, who knows who was the first?
Heuck’s played second-rate vaudeville/melodrama. W.C.Dunkenfield (later known as W.C. Fields) played in a touring vaudeville company here in 1898. Hubert Heuck later built the Lyric Theater on Vine Street in 1905, a far classier trade attended there.
The Rialto movie theater, always a second-run house, was demolished in 1959. Today the site is a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.