2 people favorited this theater
Architects: William Edward Trent
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Gaumont Palace, Gaumont
News About This Theater
- Nov 9, 2006 — Closure of former Gaumont Palace, Cheltenham, UK
Originally opened on 6th March 1933 as the Gaumont Palace Theatre it was a project of Gaumont/Albany Ward and PCT and had a seating capacity of 1,774. Additional facilities included a 100 seat cafe/ballroom. The facade has two relief sculptures by Newbury A. Trent, which depict dancing figures holding up strips of celluloid, capturing the ‘spirit of romance of the film’. The safety curtain had a painted scene by artist Frank Barnes. The proscenium was 45 feet wide, the stage 22 feet deep and it was fully equipped for live shows. The Gaumont Palace Theatre was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/8Ranks organ which was opened by organist Alfred Furnish.
In 1937 it became the Gaumont and was re-named Odeon from 16th December 1962. Pop shows brought the stage into use in the mid-1960’s with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones appearing. Divided into a triple screen cinema from 1973. It was later further sub-divided into seven screens, with the extra screens being formed out of the former cafe/ballroom in 1987, the front stalls and on the stage in 1989.
The cinema was closed 5th November 2006 and was demolished in July through September 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.