El Caro Theatre
110 S. Bickford Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: John Adolph Emil Eberson
Styles: Spanish Renaissance
In 1937, Paramount Pictures utilized the same blueprint for the El Caro Theatre in El Reno, OK, that they used to build their Inca Theatre in Okmulgee, OK. Both floor plans had the same lay out, but architectural styling was slightly altered from Mission Revival (for the Inca Theatre) to Spanish Renaissance for El Caro Theatre.
The El Caro Theatre was opened on May 20, 1938 with Edward G. Robinson in “Thunder in the City”. Patterned white washed brick adorned the lovely Mediterranean facade, and was well balanced with cement trim, geometric windows, and heavy panel doors. Bright yellow tracer lights outlined a glazed tile box office and v-shaped marquee.
Interior colour schemes were carried out in earth tone hues. Blue ceramic tile covered floors throughout the theatre (carpet was ommited from this design). Rough plastered walls were painted a rich tangerine tint, with turquoise trim. Molding consisted of sculpted, unglazed terra-cotta. Ceiling grids were formed from ornate cast plaster beams, painted to resemble oak. Patina light fixtures were adorned with amber mylar shades. Giant Art Nouveau style clay pots enhanced carefully arranged niches and alcoves. Stage portiere were designed to resemble Spanish fringed shawles.
The El Caro Theatre was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1943. On February 26, 1945 Griffith Theatres opened the newly built Centre Theatre on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.