Odeon Kingsbury

632-638 Kingsbury Road,
London, NW9 9HN

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Odeon Theatres Ltd., Rank Organisation

Architects: Arthur Percival Starkey

Styles: Art Deco

Previous Names: Gaumont

Nearby Theaters

Odeon Kingsbury

Located in the northwest London district of Kingsbury. Built for and operated by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain, the Odeon Kingsbury opened on 30th May 1934 with a public inspection and guests appearing on stage. The next day it screened its first film “Love, Life and Laughter” starring Gracie Fields.

Designed by local Harrow based architect Arthur Percival Starkey, it was very similar both externally and internally as his Odeon South Harrow which had opened a year earlier. Again there was a long low facade which was covered in cream coloured faiance tiles. There was a shop unit on each side of the wide entrance.

Inside the auditorium seating was provided for 724 in the stalls and 279 in the balcony. Illumination was via a central laylight fitting in the centre of the ceiling which extended almost the entire length of the auditorium.

It was re-named Gaumont from 19th March 1950 and remained as such until 31st May 1964 when it reverted back to the name Odeon. It closed on 9th September 1972 with Steve McQueen in “Junior Bonner” and Stanley Baker in “The Last Grenade”.

The auditorium, foyer and main entrance facade were demolished and in their place was built a J. Sainsbury supermarket. Currently this is an Aldi supermarket which has a Fitness First health club and flats above. The two original shop units were retained and still survive.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 17, 2006 at 11:21 pm

A 1930’s street scene postcard of Kingsbury Road:
View link

Photographed in November 1949 playing the Gaumont release programme:
View link

Photographed in May 1956, it has been re-named Gaumont and plays the Gaumont release:
View link

Photographed in April 1971 it has been re-named the Odeon again and sports a new fin sign. The programme is the Odeon release:
View link

Fellrover on February 9, 2015 at 9:43 am

check out English Heritage Viewfinder site, there are several good shots there.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.