Uptown Theatre

5010 Park Heights Avenue,
Baltimore, MD 21215

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Architects: John F. Eyring

Functions: Church

Styles: Streamline Moderne

Nearby Theaters

Uptown Theatre

Located in the Pimlico area. The Uptown Theatre was designed by architect John F. Eyring in an Art Moderne style. It opened on 27th June 1941 with Anna Neagle and John Carroll in “Sunny”.

Features of the building were the use of the then new ‘invisible light’ which today is known as ultra-violet lighting, that brought out hidden patterns in the fabric and decorative details of the auditorium. There were also four glass enclosed soundproof boxes which each seated eight persons, and were sold at a higher ticket price. All remaining seating was on a single floor.

It was still operating as a cinema in the early-1970’s but on a restricted opening schedule and closed in 1975.

Today the building is in use as the non-denominational Lords Church.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

randytheicon on June 11, 2009 at 3:24 am

The Uptown closed as a cinema in 1975, and was converted to a Jehovah’s Witnesses Kingdom Hall.

randytheicon on September 7, 2010 at 5:56 pm

More info: The Uptown was a bargain house as early as 1970, offering “3 Big Pictures!” for 75 cents. It was open only on Sat. and Sun. The theatre had a small outer foyer, leading to a HUGE outer lobby that featured a water fountain (which had stopped functioning long before I started going there in October 1972). The outer lobby had a sweeping staircase leading upstairs.

Sometime in 1973, “Winky” (the manager) started using the pink flourescent lights that flanked the screen. The Uptown always used its screen curtains, giving its decidedly downscale audience a taste of its former grandeur.

Also by 1973, the fare was cut back to a double feature, and Sunday admission was a dollar (later extended to Saturdays).

spectrum on October 4, 2010 at 8:41 am

From the 2010 google photos it looks like the building is again vacant. No church sigms in front, although the building is in good shape.

rivest266 on February 5, 2017 at 10:33 am

June 22nd, 1941 grand opening ad in the photo section.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.