Gaumont Kentish Town

197 Kentish Town Road,
London, NW5 2JU

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Gaumont-British-Picture Corp., Ltd., Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Ltd., Rank Organisation

Architects: John Stanley Beard

Functions: Medical Center, Office Space

Styles: Baroque

Previous Names: Palace Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Gaumont Kentish Town

Located in the inner north-west London district of Kentish Town. The Palace Cinema was designed by a very young John Stanley Beard, an architect who went on to design many cinemas in the London area. It opened on 8th December 1913 with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The House of Temperley” which was the tenth British full-length feature film to be made.

Seating was provided in stalls and circle and Beard had designed a very pretty cinema that had a highly decorative front entrance, which was covered in terra-cotta detail and an auditorium that had panelled walls with columns topped by naked female figures.

It was initially operated by Palatial Cinemas Ltd, but was taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) in 1920. From February 1929 PCT were taken over by Gaumont British Cinemas and they continued to operate it through the rest of its life. It was re-named Gaumont in 1948.

The Gaumont closed on 4th April 1959 with Sophia Loren in “The Black Orchid” and Charles Bronson in “When Hell Broke Loose”. Part of the building was demolished and a warehouse built on the site. The decorative facade was removed and the former entrance is now used by the Camden Community Health Council while the remainder of the auditorium has been converted into Camden Law Centre offices.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Jtaylor83 on September 16, 2009 at 9:04 am

Here’s a YouTube Video on the former cinema that was taped and uploaded about a year ago.

woody on October 8, 2009 at 10:54 am

seen here in 2009
the site of the original main entrance on Kentish Town Rd is now the plain brown brick building in the middle of the row, the rear of the auditorium still with its decorative features is the cream building on the right with the red band, the auditorium block extends up behind all the shops to where the original frontage was.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on January 23, 2010 at 5:36 am

A vintage photograph of the auditorium of the Palace Cinema:
View link

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.