ABC West Ealing
1 Northfield Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: G. Percy Pratt
Previous Names: West Ealing Kinema, Lido Cinema, Studios 1 & 2, Cannon, Belle Vue Cinema, Gosai Cinema
Located on Northfield Road, just around the corner from Uxbridge Road in the west London suburb of Ealing. The West Ealing Kinema was built in 1913 on the site of the former Ealing Dean Cottage Hospital. It was taken over by Lou Morris and rebuilt as the Lido Cinema in 1928 to designs by the original architect, and a Compton 2Manual/5Ranks organ was installed on 15th October 1928. It was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in July 1929. It retained the Lido Cinema name until it was taken over by the Star Cinemas group in the 1970’s.
The stalls were converted into a bingo club, and the circle was enclosed and converted into two small cinemas known as Studio 1 and Studio 2. Due to the small size of the original circle, periscope projection was not an option, and the projectors were mounted at an angle of almost 45 degrees. As the screens were parallel to the back wall, this resulted in unimaginable picture distortion. In the 1980’s it was taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named Cannon.
The bingo hall eventually closed, and the space was converted into a snooker hall. The cinemas were last known as ABC screening regular films and this closed on 6th March 1997. It was taken over by an independent screening ‘Bollywood’ films, first known as the Belle Vue and lastly as the Gosai Cinema, which closed in spring 2001. The building sat empty for a while and was demolished in September 2004. A block of flats name Lido House has now been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.