ABC Walham Green
392 North End Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: William Riddell Glen
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Regal Cinema
Located in the southwest inner London district of Walham Green. Built for and operated by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) the Regal Cinema opened on 5th August 1935 with Shirley Temple in “Bright Eyes” and Will Rogers in “The County Chairman”.
It was designed by ABC’s in-house architect William R. Glen with seating provided for 1,129 in the stalls and 800 in the balcony. The Regal Cinema was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Rank theatre organ which was opened by organist Charles D. Smart. It had an illuminated console.
It was re-named ABC from 9th July 1962 and closed on 12th February 1972 with Richard Rowntree in “Shaft”.
The building was then used as a recording studio for a while, and it was during this time in 1979 that the video of Roxy Music “Dance Away” was filmed in the former circle area. It then lay derelict. It was converted into a Dickie Dirts shop selling cheaply priced jeans and clothing. It was demolished in December 1984 and a mixed use retail and office building was built on the site, currently Waitrose supermarket operates from there.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.