Loew's Majestic Theatre
1347 Main Street,
9 people favorited this theater
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Previous Names: Loew's Poli Majestic Theatre
News About This Theater
- Nov 11, 2011 — Theatre lecture at Fairfield Museum
One of two theatres in the Majestic Theatre building (the other being Poli’s Palace Theatre), the Poli Majestic Theatre opened as a playhouse on November 4, 1922 with Eddie Cantor in the stage revue “Make It Snappy”. It was later taken over by Loew’s and operated as a movie theatre. In 2000 was supposedly about to undergo a slow, but hopeful restoration.
The reopening of the Majestic Theatre as a performing arts center, along with the adjoining Palace Theatre, is part of an effort to revitalize the downtown of one of the nation’s most beleaguered cities. The $40 million dollar renovation would bring the 1920’s era vaudeville and movie houses back to life, and establish them as cultural and performing arts centers for the region.
For now, the theatres sit and await their curtain calls. The marquees for both theatres have decayed to the point where wooden blocks were constructed to hold them up. The Majestic Theatre and Palace Theatre are similar in exterior appearance to the 3,500-seat Waterbury Palace Theatre, also designed by Thomas Lamb for the Poli chain which later became part of Loew’s.
The Loew’s Majestic Theatre closed in 1971, and there was talk of it possibly reopening in the Summer of 1976, but to date, this has not happened. (the Palace Theatre closed in 1975 after several years in use as an adult movie theatre).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.