3 St. Helen's Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Regent Theatre - Ipswich (Official)
Architects: William Edward Trent
Previous Names: Gaumont Theatre, Odeon Cinema
Built by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT), a company that was taken over by Gaumont British Cinemas in 1929, this opened as the Regent Theatre on 4th November 1929 with Norma Shearer in “The Last of Mrs Cheyney”.
The façade is designed in a Georgian style, while the large auditorium combines a mix of Neo-Classical and Art Deco. Seating in the auditorium was arranged in a semi-stadium style with only a slight overhang of the balcony and there were 14 boxes, each seating five persons that were located at the rear of the stalls under the balcony. The Regent Theatre was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2Manual/6Rank theatre organ which was opened by organist Frank Newman. There was a café/restaurant which accommodated over 100 diners.
It was re-named Gaumont in 1955 and in 1985 a 186 seat Gaumont 2 was created in the former Cafe/Restaurant area. Both screens were re-named Odeon in 1987 and they closed as cinemas on 20th March 1991.
It re-opened as the Regent Theatre on 21st September 1991 and has been restored, now in use as a live theatre and for hosting concerts. It was given a Grade II Listed building status in October 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.