50 W. 200 South,
Salt Lake City,
6 people favorited this theater
Capitol Theatre, Salt Lake City (Official)
Firms: Woolley & Evans
Functions: Performing Arts
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Orpheum Theatre
News About This Theater
- Oct 21, 2003 — Capitol Theatre Celebrates 25th Year Since Reopening
Located in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, the Capitol Theatre opened on August 2, 1913.
Designed by Albert G. Lansburgh, who had graduated from the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, the Capitol Theatre was orginally built as part of the Orpheum Theatre chain.
It utilized the most modern mechanical contrivances of its time, bringing advancements in safety and comfort through such features as fireproof and earthquake-resistant construction and air conditioning.
The building was remodeled in 1927 to the plans of architectural firm Woolley & Evans, reopening on September 29, 1927 as a motion picture theatre and operated successfully for decades. The re-opening movie was Bebe Daniels in “"Swim Girl, Swim”. There was a Fanchon & Marco stage show “Screens Idea” and Alexander Schreiner opened the Wurlitzer organ, plus Alberti & His Band. By the early-1940’s it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Tracy Barham. In 1976, the theatre was purchased by Salt Lake County and restored closely to its original form.
Today, this historic landmark is the home of Ballet West, Utah opera, and Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company. The theater also hosts world class Broadway productions community arts education programs.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.