Cameo Theater

1316 W. 17th Street,
Tulsa, OK 74107

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Griffith Amusement Company

Styles: Mission Revival

Nearby Theaters

Cameo Theater

The Cameo Theater was located in the old town of West Tulsa, which exists now only as a Tulsa community. The theater was opened on January 1, 1926 with Clara Bow in “Mantrap”. It was closed on March 9, 1953 with Donald O'Connor in “Francis” & Rod Cameron in “The Old Texas Trail”. The building was put up ‘For Sale’ in 1959 and was demolished.

Contributed by Lauren Grubb

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

raybradley on August 29, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Vintage interior/exterior photos can be viewed by typing in word “cameo”,
View link

raybradley on September 1, 2007 at 11:45 am

Oklahoma Historical Society remarks that Griffith Bros acquired the Cameo Theatre in 1940, and then replaced it with the Rita Theatre.
1934 images reveal a Spanish Mission exterior (bet those entrance doors were composed of green & orange glass) that looked as if it probably dated way back to nickelodeon times. Tht original generic “movie house” auditorium wasn’t much to look at, but it sure was better than the cheap Griffith replacement.
On the OHS web site, the Cameo auditorium is mistakenly shown again as that of the Circle Theater.
Most Tulsa citizens felt no loss after the Rita Theatre burned.

seymourcox on September 15, 2007 at 9:23 pm

The Cameo had a “reverse” cinema layout.

oldguy42 on March 8, 2015 at 7:27 pm

i remember last going to the cameo theatre in 50 or 51. we saw the serial rocket man and tried to participate in the duncan yo-yo contest. don’t understand the statement that it was replaced by the rita in the 40s

Chris1982 on March 8, 2015 at 9:47 pm

oldguy42 the Rita Theatre has its own page on Cinema Treaures and yes it was a different theatre.Rita

dallasmovietheaters on December 8, 2022 at 6:21 pm

The Cameo Theate r was announced in November of 1926 in a remodeling of an existing West Tulsa retail building. Julius Jacobson opened the venue on January 1, 1926 with “Mantrap” with Clara Bow. It converted too sound to remain viable. The final operators of the Cameo were Vernon Hoster and E.J. Blais. Blais closed the Gem on March 9, 1953 with “Francis, the Talking Mule” and “The Old Texas Trail.” Mrs. Julius Jacobson offered the building for sale in 1959. Demolished.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.