205-207 Liverpool Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Previous Names: Australian Picture Palace, Tatler Theatre, Park Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
Located in downtown Sydney, it started its life as the Australian Picture Palace when it opened on 7th January 1916. It was designed by architect Walter Burley Griffin.
On 9th November 1935, the theatre was renovated and renamed the Tatler Theatre. The theatre then switched to showing second or third run films on a weekly basis. In 1943, Warner Bros. and Hoyts could not agree on contract terms and Warners amassed a large stockpile of unreleased films. A company known as ‘Austral American Productions’ came to an exclusive arrangement with Warner Bros. to release Warner films.
The Tatler Theatre re-opened as a first run theatre on August 5, 1943, with the film “They Died with their Boots On” starring Australia’s Errol Flynn. Just three years later, the theatre switched formats once again; this time to revival screenings. Patronage was declining, so, in 1949, another change brought ‘live’ revue acts on stage, with two shows a day. Unable to find an audience, the Tatler Theatre closed for good a year later, in 1950.
In 1952, the theatre was purchased by the Hoyts Theatres circuit, refurbished, and renamed the Park Theatre. On September 29, 1954, it became the Paris Theatre and continued under that name until Hoyts left the theatre in 1977, after opening their new seven-cinema complex three blocks away in George Street, Sydney.
After Hoyts vacated, the theatre continued to operate for a few years showing films and ‘live’ theatre before it closed and was eventually demolished in 1981.
Today, the corner site is now a towering apartment building, housing not only the YMCA, but a Mormon Chapel as well. This spot, overlooking beautiful Hyde Park, is considered to be one of the best real estate locations in Sydney.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.